Return to flexibility exercises
2. Small Arm Circles
4. Forward Rowing
5. Reverse Rowing
7. Barn Door
8. Hugs (Do to the right and left twice for 30 seconds each)
9. Arms Up (Do twice for 30 seconds each)
10. Arms Down (Do twice for 30 seconds each)
11. Hand Holding (Do twice for 30 seconds each)
12. Arms in Back (Do twice for 30 seconds each)
13. The 007
14. Elbow to Opposite Knee
15. Ballerina (Do to the right and left twice for a minimum of 30 seconds each)
16. Climb the Wall (Do twice for a minimum of 30 seconds each)
17. Spider Man (Do to the right and left twice for a minimum of 30 seconds each)
18. Calf Stretch (Do twice for a minimum of 30 seconds each)
19. Front Flutter Kick
20. Body Twist
22. Front – Back Kick
23. In – Out Kick
24. Front Thigh Stretch (Do right and left twice for 30+ sec each)
25. Back Thigh Stretch (Do right and left twice fôr 30+ sec each)
1. NODS: Turn your head as far as you can to the right and as you hold your head turned, nod your head as if you were saying “yes”. Repeat. Turn your head to the left and repeat.
2. SMALL ARM CIRCLES: Squat down so that your shoulders are in the water. Place your hands on your shoulders and hold them there as you draw circles shoulder height at your sides with your elbows. Repeat first clock-wise and then repeat counter clock-wise.
3. PUSH OFFS: Squat down into the water. Hold your hands together in front of your chest. Push the water away from you by ctraightening both arms to the front. Move both arms through the water backward parallel to the floor with the elbows straight so that they are now pointing behind you. Now move your arms through the water so that they are pointing forward again. Return both hands to your chest and repeat.
4. FORWARD ROWING: Squat down so that your shoulders are in the water. Start with your arms straight behind you parallel to the floor. Move them though the water so that they are pointing straight in front of you. Now move them down to your sides into the water and back to the starting point. Repeat.
5. REVERSE ROWING: Squat down as in FORWARD ROWING. Start with your arms stretched out in front of you. Move them through the water parallel to the floor so that your arms are now pointing behind you. Now, move your arms down toward the floor of the pool along your sides and forward to the starting position. Repeat.
6. BUBBLES: Squat down into the water. Hold your arms out away from your sides but still in the water. Move both arms down to the floor of the pooi and cross them in front of your body. Uncross your arms and raise them just out of the water. Repeat.
7. BARN DOOR: Squat down into the water. Hold your arms out away from your sides with them parallel to the floor of the pool. Move your right arm through the water in front of you and touch the left hand. Return to the starting position. Now, move the left arm through the water so as to touch the right hand. Return to the starting position and repeat. Be sure to move only one arm at a time.
8. HUGS: Reach with the right arm across your upper chest and reach down your back over the left shoulder. Use the left hand to help stretch by pushing at the right elbow. Hold for 30 seconds be sure to breathe and repeat with the other arm. Complete two stretches per arm.
9. ARMS UP: Raise both arms up over your head and stretch toward the ceiling. Be sure to breathe as you hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds. Repeat once more.
10. ARMS DOWN: Clasp your hand behind your back and stretch down and back by straightening your elbows. Bring your shoulder blades together. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and be sure to breathe. Repeat once more.
11. HAND HOLDING: Raise your right hand up toward the ceiling. Then bend your right elbow and place your right hand behind your neck. With the left arm down by your side, bend your left elbow and move your left hand up your back toward the other hand. Clasp your hands if possible. Hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds and be sure to breathe. Switch hand positions and stretch the other side. Complete two repetitions in each position. If you need assistance you may use a towel or wash rag to grab with your hands and work them closer together for improved stretching.
12. ARMS IN BACK: With your back to the railing or wall of the pool, place your hands either on the railing or top of wall with the palms down. Work your hands as close together until you begin to feel a stretch. Keep your elbows straight as you walk away from the wall or railing and sit down into the water with your legs in front of you. Hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds and be sure to breathe. To come out of the stretch, slide your hands apart along the railing or the wall. Repeat once more.
13. THE 007: Stand up in the water or kneel in the water so that the water is chest high. Clasp your hands in front of you with your arms straight. Holding your hands together, draw a half circle in the water by twisting at the waist first to the right, then to the left. Turn your head in the same direction that your hands are pointing. KEEP YOUR SPINE VERTICAL AND DO NOT BEND FORWARD. Turning to the right and left count as one repetition. Repeat.
14. ELBOW TO KNEE: Stand up in the pool. Place your hands on your shoulders. Raise your left knee up and touch it with the right elbow. Return to the starting position. Raise your right knee up and touch it with the left elbow. Repeat.
15. BALLERINA: Stand up with your feet apart so that the water level is waist high. DO NOT STAND IN THE DEEP END OF THE POOL! Raise your right arm over your head and place the left hand on your left hip. Lean toward the left from the waist. Don’t bend forward – just sideways. Also, be sure to tilt your head to the left. Hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds and breathe. Switch to the other side and repeat. Complete two repetitions for each side.
16. CLIMB THE WALL: Face the railing of the pool and grab it with both hands. Place your feet on the wall in front of you keeping your knees straight. Slowly walk your feet up the wall until you begin to feel a stretch. Hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds and be sure to breathe. Walk your feet back down the wall and repeat once more.
17. SPIDERMAN: Face the railing and grab it with both hands. Put both feet as wide apart as you can flat on the wall in front of you (keep your knees straight at first). While in this position bend the right knee and shift your body to the right. Turn the toes of the right foot so that they point in the same direction as the right knee and the inside arch of the foot is next to the side wall of the pooi. The toes of the left foot should point towards the ceiling. You should feel a stretch on the inside of the left (straight) leg. Hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds while you breathe. Switch over to the left side and stretch. Change your foot position accordingly, so the toes of the left foot are now pointing in the same direction as the left knee and the toes of the right foot point towards the ceiling. Repeat two repetitions for each side.
18. CALF STRETCH: Face the railing with your feet approximately 1.5 feet away from the wall. BE SURE THAT YOUR FEETARE POINTING STRAIGHT AHEAD ANDARE NOTTURNED OUT FROM THE MIDDLE. Your feet should be no more than 12 inches apart. Keep your heels on the ground and your knees straight as you bring your hips forward toward the railing. DO NOT BEND FORWARD ATTHE WAIST. You should feel a stretch in the calf muscles. If you do not, move your feet backward slightly and try again. (Be sure that your feet point straight ahead!) Hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds while you breathe. Repeat once more.
19. FRONT FLUTTER KICK: With your back to the wall or railing of the pool, rest both arms on the rail or top of the wall. Kick your legs as if you were swimming on your back. Repeat.
20. BODY TWIST: With your back to the wall or railing of the pool, rest both arms on the railing or the top of the wall. Raise both knees together just Out of the water. Hold them together as you twist from the waist first to the right and then to the left. Place both feet on the floor of the pool and repeat.
21. ROCKETTE: With your back to the railing and your arms resting on the railing or top of the wall, bring the right foot over to the left hand resting on the railing. Return to the starting position and raise the left foot to the right hand. Repeat.
22. FRONT BACK KICK: Stand with the railing or wall on one side and place your hand on it. Stand on one leg as you kick your other leg forward and back as far as possible, keeping the knee straight. Be sure not to bend forward or backward from the waist. Turn around and repeat on the other side.
23. IN – OUT KICK: Stand with the railing or wall on the right side and place your hand on it. Cross your left leg in front of your ankle and touch the wall of the pool on the right side. Cross the left leg back and raise the left leg sideways to the top of the water. Repeat. Turn around so that the wall ¡s on the left side and repeat with the right leg.
24. FRONT THIGH STRETCH: Stand with the railing or wall on your right side and hold it with the right hand. Grab your left ankle with your left hand. Stretch by pointing your left knee straight down toward the floor and a bit back (don’t lean forward with your body). Hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds while you breathe. Turn around and switch arm positions to stretch the right leg. Complete two stretches on each leg.
25. BACK THIGH STRETCH: Face the wall or railing and raise your right leg to hook the heel over the railing or the edge of the wall. Your knee must be straight as you reach down the raised leg toward your toes. Hold the stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds while you breathe. Switch legs and complete two stretches for each leg.
Return to flexibility exercises